Systems Administrator’s Lab: Cacti Development


Today, I finally took the time to update a Cacti Data Query which I wrote a while back. When I took a look at it, I found out that it was never actually working for other people strait out of the box.

This data query graphs BGP prefixes, messages received and messages sent. I developed it a couple of years ago and it can be difficult digging back in after not touching something so esoteric for so long. On the positive side, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had already had a cacti development server in place which I forgot about. Even DNS was in place.

I think the lesson learned here, is always build infrastructure in your lab. It will save you time when you are in the heat of a different problem


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *